Moving with Kids
Tips for Moving With Kids
- Before you move, have your kids write or tell a story about what happens when you move. This way you’ll know what they’re thinking and feeling about the process, and how you can help them adjust.
- Talk to your child about the people that they will miss when you move and plan ways that they can stay in contact with them.
- Take your kids to visit the new home before move day, and let them explore a bit!
- Show them their rooms and ask how they want things set up.
- Before moving start helping your child learn the new address and phone number.
- Let the movers unpack and arrange the kids’ rooms first so that they come into a peaceful and complete space.
- Have kids pack some of their own items so they know that all their important things are coming along with them.
- Ask your in-home estimator for a coloring book moving box. When you’re a kid, even packing can be fun!
- Have your kids write a letter to the new family moving in, and have them leave it somewhere in the house to be found.
- Take lots of pictures of the old house so that they can remember it, and so they can make sure their new rooms are just right.